Hong Kong Styled Russian Borscht Soup
Hong Kong Styled Russian Borscht (with oxtail)
Traditional Chinese Name:
羅宋湯 (luó sòng tāng)
Taste: Savory, sweet, and slightly sour
For more videos, you can follow us on YouTube.
Did you know the secret ingredient to an HK-styled Russian Borscht is Worcestershire sauce (and some lemon juice)?
Falling off the bone oxtail?
Soft delicious veggies?
Savory and a hint of tart delicious broth?
Yes, the Hong Kong Styled Russian Borscht is a classically adopted fusion soup that is very different and uniquely different to the traditional European borscht (no beetroots or cream). Instead, it’s a tomato based beef broth and a range of choice vegetables diced small.
I love the subtle tart flavours of the soup, but yet incredibly savory and hearty. This soup indeed eats like a meal!
Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 120 minutes
Total time: 150 mins
Serves: 8 bowls
- 1 full oxtail
- Optional pieces of beef flank
- 3 potatoes, peeled and largely cubed
- 2 carrots, peeled and largely cubed
- 2 celery stalks, peeled and largely cubed2 tomatoes, quartered
- 1 onion, halved
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 head of cabbage, slicked thin
- 3 dried dates
- Fresh green onions
- 1 small can of tomato paste
- 1 lemon
- 5 dried bay leaves
- 6 black peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 2 tablespoons or Worcestershire sauce
- 11-12 cups of water
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- In your soup pot, with a bit of oil on med heat, pan fry the garlic cloves and oxtails until golden brown and fragrant (they smell so good!). I don’t blanch and will do this instead.
- Add the cubed beef flanks and potatoes, allowing them to also brown nicely
- Add in your soup water, about 11-12 cups of water and turn on high heat
- I will then drop in my vegetables, tomatoes, celery, onion, carrots, and the dried dates
- Cover and let it come to a full boil, then reduce to med heat for another 1.5 hours
- Here you can now add in the flavouring of the soup (this is what really makes it distinct as a the HK-styled Russian Borscht)
- I will also throw in the cabbage
- Cover and let that simmer for another 30 minutes
- Garnish with fresh green onions, serve, and enjoy!