Glass Noodles or Bean Vermicelli
Ingredient Name: Glass noodles, Bean vermicelli, Bean threads, cellophane noodles, green bean vermicelli, crystal noodles or other variations
Traditional Chinese Name: 粉絲 (fěn sī )
What is this?
- Bean vermicelli is a type of noodle product made from starches (usually mung or green bean)
- It’s white and transparent and hard in texture because it is often sold as a dried product
- Glass noodles are in various dishes, soups, stews, or appetizers and come in various shapes, sizes and lengths
- Different from rice vermicelli as this one is made usually from beans and not rice
How do I prepare it?
- Prior to use, rinse in warm water and soak completely in water for 2 hours
Where can I buy this?
- This is available in most Asian supermarkets as prepackages
- Western supermarkets are also sometimes known to carry this item
What is the cost
- Very cheap. 3 packs cost $5 HKD.
- A pack is pictured above
- Excellent source of fiber and contains minimal fat and sodium
- An extremely versitile produce that is easy to use and cook with
- Be sure you’re purchasing genuine bean vermicelli
- It is known that some manufacturers use corn starch to produce this to reduce cost (and can contain lead or bleaches)
- Caution for people who have gout as high in bean content products can irritate gout symptoms