Mui Choi (Mui Choy)
Ingredient Name: Mui Choi, Mui Choy, Pickled Chinese Cabbage
Traditional Chinese Name: 梅菜 (mui choi)
What is this?
- Mui choy is preserved (pickled) chinese cabbage
- It is a traditional preparation method used to preserve food after the harvest for winter months and consumption at the later time
- It is commonly used in braised dishes (such as pork belly) and other Chinese dishes
How do I prepare it?
- Remove the mui choy from the bag
- Soak in cool water for 30 minutes
- Rinse in running water making sure to spread the leaves to ensure that all the sand is washed away
- You can either leave it as a whole piece or dice it into tiny pieces for soup
Where can I buy this?
- You can purchase mui choy prepackaged in most Asian supermarkets
What is the cost?
- Mui choy costs around $2.50 CAD / pound
- It is an ideal substitute for salting and flavouring food
- Due to the preservation process, mui choy often contains sand grits and dirt
- It can be an extremely salty ingredient is not washed thoroughly, so use in moderation
- Buy miu choy from a reputable source
- Mui choy stores very well and can be kept sealed in the fridge for up to 6 months