Fried Licorice Root
Ingredient Name: Mizhi Licorice root, Fried Licorice (Liquorice), Sweet root, Chinese Licorice, Glycyrrhiza uralensis
Traditional Chinese Name: 灸甘草 (jiǔ gān cǎo)
What is this?
- This is a variation of the Licorice root, but is prepared with honey and fried
- The root of the licorice plant which is extracted and dried
- Common Chinese herbal ingredient and often found in Chinese medicines
- Mainly grown in China (Eastern & Northern parts)
- Slightly sweet in flavor
- The fried version is said to be more effective on the stomach and relieving diarrhea
How do I prepare it?
- Rinse in warm water prior to use
Where can I buy this?
- This is available in most Asian supermarkets
- Also available in Chinese herbals stores
What is the cost
- 10 g cost around $2-3 HKD
- Extremely affordable
- Used to aid cough, sore throat, asthma and remove phlegm
- Helps in detoxifying the body
- Helps relieve diarrhea
- When it is fried, it is considered warm
- People with heart disease or high blood pressure should be cautious about using licorice
- The dried original version is the Licorice root