Ginseng with Honey Tea
Soup Name: Ginseng with Honey Tea
Traditional Chinese Name: 人參茶 (Rénshēn Chá)
An extremely easy and common Chinese tea/drink that is one of the traditional cooling teas. It relieves heatiness, expels heat from the body and is overall healthy for the body. Although slightly bitter in after taste, adding some honey or rock sugar can help make this tea delicious. There are a variety of recipes for ginseng tea with varying Chinese herbs, but this is the most basic.
What Ingredients are required?
1-2 pieces of dried ginseng (pending how bitter you’d like it)
1 tablespoon of honey
2-3 L of water
How do I prepare it?
- Cut up long ginseng piece into slices (for releasing more ginseng flavor into the tea)
- Add ginseng to water and boil covered for 30 minutes
- Strain and add honey
- Can be served chilled
Another way to prepare this tea is without boiling. You can simply steep the ginseng like normal tea leaves in a cup of hot/boiling water. Stir to distribute flavor and then add honey or rock sugar.
- Excellent for removing heatiness from the body
- Great anti-oxidant and anti-carcinogenic properties
- Extremely easy to make
- Can help reduce fatigue, lower cholesterol and prevent infections
- Ginseng is a cooling food and should be avoided in women who are in their first trimester or in postpartum (confinement)