by LadyTong | Aug 13, 2010 | Soups for Children |
Soup Name: Gobo in Pork Bone Soup
Traditional Chinese Name: 清牛蒡豬骨湯 (qīng niúbàng zhū gǔ tāng)
A naturally sweet and delicious soup with minimal ingredients. It is a neutral soup that has many benefits (see below) and is very easy to make.
1 pound of fresh pork bones
6-7 gobo or greater burdock roots (each approximately 1″ in length)
4 honey dates
4-5 dried scallops (conpoys)
2-3 L of water
How do I prepare it
- Blanch fresh pork bones in a pot of boiling water
- Boil your soup water
- Wash, peel and cut gobo into edible sizes
- Rinse honey dates and dried scallops in warm water
- Once soup water boils, add all the ingredients together
- Boil on high for 30 minutes, reduce to a simmer for another 1 hour
- Serve and enjoy!
- High amounts of calcium, potassium, iron and amino acids
- Soup helps promote bowel movements and urination to eliminate toxins
- Helps reduce blood sugar, fat and blood pressure
- Ensure gobo is purchased from a reputable source
by LadyTong | Aug 7, 2010 | Ingredients |
Gobo Root or Greater Burdock
Gobo root, Gobo, Greater burdock, Edible burdock
Traditional Chinese Name:
- The root of a of the greater burdock plant family that is mainly cultivated for its root and is considered a vegetable
- The roots are brown and roughly 1-2 inches in diameter and can grow up to 1 meter in length
- It has a white, slightly brown flesh that is crunchy in texture
- Most commonly found in Japanese cuisine and specifically in Chinese medicine
- It is sweet, earthy, and dark to taste and adds a wonderful flavor to soups, although it can be quite strong, so use less first and adjust as you need. Do taste it!
- Can be used fried, raw, processed or made into a drink
- Rinse the roots in warm water and optionally peel off skin prior to usage
- I would suggest to soak in warm water for 10-15 minutes to remove the muddy harshness flavor associated with the root, but some like that earthy taste, which adds to the flavor, so this is your call
- Cut into large bite-sizes for soups and consumption
Where can I buy it and cost?
- High in dietary fiber and low in calories and fat
- Contains high amounts of calcium, potassium, iron and amino acids
- As a Chinese medicine, it has a diuretic effect and promotes bowel movements
- It is also effective in removing wind heat from the body as well as phlegm
- Helps to reduce blood sugar, blood fat and blood pressure
- Some burdocks resemble another plant called nightshade and contamination may occur
- Be sure to buy burdocks from a reputable source
Looking to build your basic Chinese Soup Pantry?
This is a great starter video to build our your basic Chinese soup pantry. A handful of these ingredients are actual amazing with one simple chicken. It’s your basic Chicken Herbal Soup here!