Ingredient Name: Dong choy, tung choy, tong choy
Traditional Chinese Name: 冬菜(dōng cài)
What is this?
- A common traditional Chinese ingredient that is composed of (depending on make and brand) cabbage, garlic and salt
- The cabbage is chopped very finely and is preserved in garlic and salt (so it is quite salty)
- Excellent in stewed, steamed, fried dishes and soups
How do I prepare it?
- Use directly out of jar
Where can I buy this?
- Available in most supermarkets and wet marts
What is the cost?
- Varying prices depending on size and brand, but usually not very expensive
- Extremely flavorful when added to soups of stews
- All natural ingredients
- High amount of salt (sodium) so take in moderation
Any additional information?
- Store in refrigerated environment for up to 6 months