Soup Name: Black Silkie Chicken with Vegetables and Chestnuts
Traditional Chinese Name: 黑雞蘿蔔玉米栗子湯 (hēi jī luó bo yù mǐ lì zǐ tāng)
Amount serves: 4 servings (around 250 mL each)
What Ingredients are required?
3 L of water
How do I prepare it?
- Soak your conpoy in warm water for about 10 minutes.
- Boil a medium pot of water (for the chestnuts). When the water boils, add in the chestnuts to boil for 5 minutes.
- If you can, immediately peel the chestnuts (as its easiest to peel when it’s still hot). Set aside.
- Empty the water and boil a new pot to blanch the chicken (including the innards).
- Boil your soup water and prepare the vegetables.
- Once your soup water boils, add all the ingredients together.
- Boil on high heat for 30 minutes and reduce to a medium simmer for another hour.
- Salt as needed, serve and enjoy!
- This soup is lean in fat and high in protein. The meat of the silkie chicken is very tasty and the chicken itself is usually skinnier and has less fat than of its white counterpart
- The silkie chicken soup base is great to freeze and use later (by adding fresh vegetables or fruits)
- This soup is ideal for children (and the whole family)
- You can add literally any vegetables with the black silkie chicken
- Be sure to wash your hands thoroughly after handling raw chicken meat