Ingredient Name: Sweet-bitter Apricot Kernals (also known as bitter almonds or apricot almonds)
Traditional Chinese Name: 南北杏 (nán běi xìng)
This ingredient is also a must have in your soup pantry. It’s used in a variety of soups that help relieve heatiness and are good for coughs. You can also use this in a few sweet soups, so it makes the apricot kernal a versitile seed indeed!
What is this?
- The apricot kernal is literally the seed kernal of the apricot fruit
- They can be very strong tasting and bitter
- The Chinese name reflects the tastes of the apricot kernal: Sweet (南) -bitter (北) Apricot Kernals (杏)
- They are durable goods and can be stored in the fridge or freezer for at least 12-18 months
How do I prepare it?
- Wash before usage
Where can I buy this?
- In Asian supermarkets, you can purchase them prepackaged
- You can also purchase them from Chinese speciality stores (pharmacies) in bulk by weight
What is the cost?
- Apricot kernals packages cost around $2.00 – $3.00 CAD / 8 oz package
- Apricot kernals are known to target and benefit the lungs
- They are best used as a cough remedy
- Excess consumption may produce symptoms of cyanide poisoning such as nausea, fever, rash, headaches, insomnia, thirst, weakness, lethargy and various aches in pains