Soup Name: Stewed Beef Soup (Taiwanese Beef Noodle Soup base)
Traditional Chinese Name: 牛肉面 (niu rou mian)
This stewed beef is a variation of the famous Taiwanese Beef Noodle Soup. It is a very rich meat broth that can serve as a meal in itself when eaten together with hand-pulled noodles and boiled vegetables.
What Ingredients are required?
3 large pieces of beef shank or short ribs
5 cloves smashed garlic
½ small onion or 3 shallots, diced
5 whole star anise
1 tablespoon sichuan pepper
½ stalk of lemongrass
1 small chunk of fresh ginger
1 slice of ginger root
2 2-inch long peeled pieces of tangerine skin (if available)
1 cup of soy sauce
1.5 L of cold water
How do I prepare it?
- In a large pot, start boiling your soup water
- Add the soy sauce, onions, garlic, star anise, sichuan pepper, lemongrass and ginger root and boil together for 30 minutes
- Wash, pre-boil and drain the beef
- Add the beef (whole) into the soup
- Cover and boil for 2 or more hours (until the beef is very tender but not falling apart), occasionally turning the beef
- Remove from heat and let sit for 1 hour
- Remove beef from the soup and slice into ½ inch slices
- Add your favourite noodles, vegetables, beef slices and the rich beef stock into bowls
- Serve and enjoy!
Once sliced, your beef should look similar to the delicious, mouth-watering photo below, and the broth is even better!