Equipment Name: Soup Bag
What is this?
- This is a mesh polyester bag that is used for boiling soups
- It is usually no bigger than a piece of A4 paper in area
- The contents to put inside usually disintegrate in the soup and therefore the bag keeps it together (like fish)
- It is an efficient separator of soup and ingredients
- You can directly dispose of the unedible ingredients in the bag
- Do not reuse the bag
How do I prepare it?
- As a precaution, boil the bag in a pot of boiling water prior to usage
Where can I buy this?
- You can buy this as individual bags from most Asian supermarkets
- In Hong Kong, you can purchase this from wet marts
What is the cost?
- The bag costs $1.00 CAD / bag
- The substitute for this to boil the soup with the fish directly in the soup and then strain the soup to ensure there are no bones in the soup. This is especially critical if the soup is going to be given to babies and children.
- You can strain the soup with various methods such as with a fine-meshed ladle
Thank you so much for putting up a truly inspiring soup site! I like the fact that traditional recipes get a little tweak here and there!
If one dies not have soup bag, one could use tied up cheesecloth to wrap .
Dear Dee, that’s actually another great idea!! Thanks for sharing!