Ingredient Name: Snow Pears or Pyrus Nivalis (dried)
Chinese Name: 雪梨幹 (xuě lí gàn) or 梨干 (lí gàn)
This is a great natural additive to any soup or drink, although it is more commonly used in drinks rather than soups. You can do a combination of dried or fresh snow pears in both soups and drinks and this is almost a great staple to have “just in case” you feel like making a soup but the stores are closed or it’s a typhoon or snow storm. And of course, no one is to stop you from eating it if you’re in dire hunger.
What is this?
- An edible fruit grown from pear trees
- It is usually round and found to grow well in cooler temperatures
- The snow pear is often firm in handling and is often associated with being on the more sour and tangy side of taste
- Snow pears are known to be a “cooling” fruit
- It is often dried with the skin and seeds and dried in disks the size of diameter of the pear
How do I prepare it?
- Wash the dried snow pears in warm running water
- Use directly in soups and drinks
Where can I buy this?
- Commonly found in wet marts in Hong Kong from the herbalist or dried food vendor
- It is sometimes available in packages in supermarkets (although more as a snack than as an additive to soups or drinks)
What is the cost?
- Dried snow pears are very affordable costing around $1-2 HKD for 2-3 slices
- Pears have 0 fat and provide a healthy intake of natural sugars
- Pears are also packed with Vitamin A, C and E1
- They contain excellent amounts of copper and potassium and are packed with carbohydrates
- Pears also are the least allergenic of all fruits and is often found as a first foods for babies
- They are said to assist with the lower of cholesterol and high blood pressure
- Pears are excellent laxatives due to their high fiber content
- Pears, especially Snow Pears, are known to be a “cooling” food
- Women who are pregnant or menstruating should take caution when consuming Snow Pears
- “Crystal” pears can also be substituted for Snow Pears in soups
- Apples are also an ideal substitute
- Dried Snow Pears store very well in a sealed container
- They can be kept in refrigeration for up to 3 months