Soup Name: Snow Pear and Watermelon with Pork Shank Soup
Traditional Chinese Name: 雪梨西瓜豬展湯 (xuě lí xī guā zhū zhǎn tāng)
This soup is excellent and ideal for hot summer days. It’s also very good for children and relieves heatiness. It is sweet to taste and the contents are extremely healthy to eat. In many instances, the pork shank is served as a dish at Chinese restaurants sided with a rich soy sauce. The meat is soft, tender and delicious to eat! I love it! My children love it!
What Ingredients are required?
300 g of fresh pork shank
3-4 snow pears
2-3 large dried dates
3-4 L of water
1 teaspoon of salt (to marinate the pork shank)
How do I prepare it?
- Pre-marinate the pork with the salt and let it sit for at least an hour (overnight is best)
- Begin boiling your soup water
- Blanch the pork in a separate pot of boiling water
- Wash the snow pears, halve and core
- Peel and cube watermelon into very large cubes
- Add all the ingredients to boiling water
- Boil for at least 2 hours
- Watermelon helps stimulate saliva secretion and quenches thirst
- Snow pears are cooling and help in nourishing the lungs and cooling the heart
- This soup is ideal for the summer months
- Watermelon is an extremely “cooling” food. Women who are pregnant, especially those less than 3 months into term, should drink with caution as watermelon is known to cause contractions.
Lady Tong,a question about the pork shank snow pear and watermelon soup.Is it ok to substitute a ham hock because I have one on hand,and add a couple baby bok choi to the soup and add the rest of the ingredients as shown? Also in a another summer soup recipe apricot kernal was added what does adding apricot kernal do exactly? Appreciate your posting of these soup recipes very much. Thank you.