Ingredient Name: Dried Shrimp
Traditional Chinese Name: 蝦米 (xiā mǐ)
What is this?
- Shrimp that have been sun dried and shrunk as a method to preserve the shrimp
- Many Asian cultures use dried shrimps in their dishes
- The taste of dried shrimp is flavourful and different from that of fresh shrimp
- You can find dried shrimp with both their shell still on or removed depending on the drying process
How do I prepare it?
- Wash and soak dried shrimp in cool water for 30 minutes prior to use
Where can I buy this?
- You can purchase dried shrimp in most Asian supermarkets
- Dried shrimp is also available in Chinese speciality stores (pharmacies) and sold in bulk
What is the cost?
- The cost of dried shrimp varies depending on the size and quality of the shrimp
- It is a great substitute to salting your soup
- Be sure to purchase dried shrimp from a reputable source
- Dried shrimp keep very well and can be stored for up to 12 months in a sealed container in the fridge