Soup Name: Pork Bones with Apples and Snow Pears Soup
Traditional Chinese Name: 豬骨蘋果雪梨湯 (zhū gǔ píng guǒ xuě lí tāng)
Introduction: This soup is excellent and ideal for hot summer days. It’s also very good for children and mildly relieves heatiness. It is sweet to taste and the contents are extremely healthy to eat. You can mix this combination up by throwing in a variety of vegetables as well like corn or carrots.
What Ingredients are required?
1 pound of fresh pork bones
3-4 fuji apples
3-4 snow pears
2-3 large dried dates
3-4 L of water
1 teaspoon of salt (to marinate the pork bones)
How do I prepare it?
- Pre-marinate the pork with the salt and let it sit for at least an hour (overnight is best)
- Begin boiling your soup water
- Rinse and soak in warm water the dried dates for 10 minutes
- Blanch the pork in a separate pot of boiling water
- Wash the snow pears and apples, halve and core
- Add all the ingredients to boiling water
- Boil for at least 2 hours
- Snow pears are cooling and help in nourishing the lungs and cooling the heart
- This soup is ideal for the summer months
- Snow pears are mildly “cooling” so people who sensitive to cooling soups should caution
I found this website by pleasant accident. Run thru some of the recipes. The ingredients are easy to find yet the soup tasted great! Great for working mother with young children like me. Most important my children and my loved ones loved it! Thank you so much! Greatly appreciated!
i love your website to start! thanks for all the wonderful recipes! 🙂
i have a question: you mentioned “watermelon” in your “hoe to prepare it” section but it’s not in your list of ingredients.
so i just wanted to verify that watermelon is part of this recipe and if so – what is the quantity?
Hi Rknox, missed this comment! I’ve actually modified it – the watermelon addition is wrong. Thank you for helping us proof-read 🙂 No, watermelon is NOT part of the recipe. It might be way too sweet with the apples and snow pears, so I usually make watermelon by itself (with no other fruits). Hope this helps and thanks for your support.
If the pears are too cooling….can it be replaced w/apples only?
Dear smile, absolutely! You can just only apples. Stick to the red ones (macintosh or fuji are good) as they are sweeter. Hope this helps and thank you for your support! Lisa
I forgot to ask….what’s the purpose of the dates if the apples probably already give the soup a sweet taste???
Agree that they are both sweet but there is a slightly different sweetness by adding red dates. As well, they contribute to help parts of our bodies, like the eyes. You can definitely go without though! Lisa
If anyone is interested….don’t go w/out the dates….just in case the apples are not that sweet.
I would like to ask if this should suitable for 1yr old?