Ox-tail Apple Soup
Oxtail and apple soup
Traditional Chinese Name:
牛尾蘋果湯 (niu wei píng guǒ tāng)
This soup is high in protein and fiber. It is sweet and tangy and incredibly healthy to drink and eat. It is best eaten after it has been boiled for a long time (2 hours) or when the beef is tender and falling off the bones and the apples have melted into the soup. This soup is high in fiber and is ideal for children as it is very natural and they can eat the apples!
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 3 hours
Total time: 3 hours 15 mins
Serves: 4 bowls
1 whole fresh oxtails
10 – 12 fresh mcintosh apples
5-6 pieces of dried scallop
- 3L water
- Mix salt and ox-tail together and let sit in a bag for at least an hour (best overnight)
- Wash ox-tail in cool running water. Oxtail is not considered a lean cut of beef. You may choose to use a strainer to remove the top layer of fat from the soup and to remove fat from the beef before eating. Or just eat in moderation.
- Start boiling your water soup and add the dried dates
- In a separate pot, blanch the oxtail and strain it to remove any dirt and debris from the blanching
- Add the oxtail and dried scallops to the boiling water of your soup
- Wash and chop the apples and add to your soup
- Boil together for at least 60-90 minutes on high heat. The longer you boil it, the tastier the soup. It is best eaten with the beef is falling off the bones.