Ingredient Name: Miso Paste, Miso
Traditional Chinese Name: 味噌 (Wèizēng)
What is this?
- A Japanese ingredients that is fermented soybeans paste (usually made with barley, rice, soy sauce, salt)
- This paste is used for sauces, cooking, pickling and most commonly, soups (miso soup to be exact!)
- The color of this paste will vary from a light-golden brown to a dark-soy sauce brown depending on how its made
- It can be found in both paste and powder form (but usually paste is used for cooking)
How do I prepare it?
- Use with a clean spoon and remove from container
- Once opened, close and refrigerate immediately and can be stored until the expiry date
Where can I buy this?
- Most Asian supermarkets will carry this in a container format
What is the cost?
- The cost will vary depending on the brand, import, flavor and type of miso paste
- I purchased a tub pictured above for around $50 HKD
- Excellent source of Vitamin B and protein
- Miso is a salty ingredient and should be used in moderation