Ingredient Name: Malt
Traditional Chinese Name: 麥芽 (Mài yá)
What is this?
- Part of wheats
- The product by which “malting” produces a certain grain (processed)
- Grains are harvested and soaked in water to allow germination – which turns the starches into sugar
- They are then baked on high heat and thus producing malt
- There are a variety of malts available for consumption such as in the product of certain alcoholic beverages (whiskey, beer)
How do I prepare it?
- Rinse in warm water before soup usage
Where can I buy this?
- Available in most supermarkets and speciality stores in packages
What is the cost?
- Extremely affordable
- A few dollars for a few grams (HKD) – but still more expensive than just rice
- Malt is an easily disgested ingredient for humans (as its carbohydrates are already broken down)
- High content water
- Malt contains magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, Vitamins A, B, D and E
- Contains folic acid that is essential for prengnant women
- Has no fat
- It is relatively more expensive for an extract of what due to its increased processing