Soup Name: Luo Han Guo and Apricot Kernals with Pork Shank Soup
Traditional Chinese Name: 羅漢果南北杏豬展湯 (luóhàn guǒ nán běi xìng zhū zhǎn tāng)
This soup is excellent for assisting in coughs and removing phelgm. It also aids in providing moisture to the body and lungs for those dry autumn and winter months. I would caution using the whole fruit (luo han guo) as it has a very distinct and sweet taste. Try using half and add more as you see fit. For me, the one fruit was too sweet and even when I asked the herbalist, she told me that one is definitely more than enough for one pot of soup.
What Ingredients are required?
- Pre-marinate the pork overnight with the salt (although this step is not necessary)
- Boil your soup water
- Blanch pork shank
- Wash and soap apricot kernals and dried dates in warm water
- Cut luo han guo into quarters (or halves)
- When the water boils, add all the ingredients together
- Boil on high for thirty minutes, reduce to a simmer boil for another 1.5 hours
- An excellent soup to assist with coughs and loosening of phlegm
- Ideal for dry autumn consumption as it helps moisten the lungs and body
- The luo han guo produces a very sweet and distinct taste that is subjective to the drinker
- I would suggest trying half of a fruit on your first attempt and see if you like it, definitely do not add more than 1 fruit to a soup