Ingredient Name: Japanese Honeysuckle, Lonicera Japonica, Suikazura, Er hu, Shuang hua
Traditional Chinese Name: 金銀花 (Jīnyín huā) literal translation of “gold silver flower”
What is this?
- A species of invasive vine native to Eastern Asia (Japan, Korea, China)
- The raw flower is between white and yellow in color and the vines can grow up to 10m tall
- Extremely common in Chinese medicinal uses
- Considered cold (helps cool the body and detoxify)
- It is an anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory ingredient
- Used as a dried ingredient in drinks and Chinese medicine
- Western countries see this plant as a pest or weed
How do I prepare it?
- Rinse in warm water prior to use
Where can I buy this?
- This is available in most Asian supermarkets
- Also available in Chinese herbals stores
What is the cost
- 10 g cost around $2-3 HKD
- Extremely affordable
- Is a cooling food
- Excellent in dispelling heat and toxins in the body
- Used to treat conditions such as fevers, skin rash, sore throat and other heaty conditions
- Not be consumed by women who are pregnant – especially in first trimester as it’s a cooling food
- Consume with caution for people with pre-existing cold conditions