Ingredient Name: Green Onions, Spring Onions, Salad Onions
Traditional Chinese Name: 青蔥 (qīng cōng)
What is this?
- Green onions are young shoots of bulb onions, and are milder tasting than large bulb onions
- They have a small, not fully developed white bulb end with long green stalks
- When buying green onions, look for ones with bright green tops, firm stalks (not wilted), and a firm white bulb at the bottom
How do I prepare it?
- Wash thoroughly in cool water, remove the bulb at the bottom, and chop the green stalks into fine pieces (as in above photo)
Where can I buy this?
- You can buy from any supermarket
What is the cost?
- Green onions are very affordable
- When shopping in chinese grocery stores, it is possible to get green onions free (with a purchase of other vegetables)
- Green onions are fat-, sodium-, and cholesterol-free, low in calories, and high in vitamin C.
- They also contain dietary fiber, vitamin C, vitamin B6, potassium, and other key nutrients
- They make a great garnish
- None that I can think of. Enjoy!