Grass Carp Fish
Grass Carp Fish or White Amur
Traditional Chinese Name:
鯉魚 (wan yú)
Fish are considered cooling in nature.
For more on building your basic Chinese Soup pantry, visit us on YouTube!
Fish are one of the best protein to use in soups, but I think underrated! The grass carp is also one of the most common fish types in the Cantonese soup base, commonly found in all supermarkets and also the fish of choice in restaurant soups. It’s because it’s readily available and not too expensive. I think the meat is a big rough when steamed, which makes it amazing in soups! The other amazing thing about fish of this size is that they are packed full of collagen when used in soups, especially the heads and tails. Although, there are mercury warnings with large fish, so it’s definitely a balance!
How do I prepare it?
When you purchase the fish at the fish vendor (or already prepackaged), see if you can get them to cut up into smaller pieces. I typically request quartered heads, meaning, right down the middle in half and then half again. This will allow the frying to be easier and it fits better into soup pots.
For all types of fish in soup, I will always clean, scrub (in running water) and pat dry with paper towels. I also try to pick up as much blood as possible. And then, I will also always pan-fry in oil, ginger, and fresh scallions. This will help eliminate the fishy taste and smell and allow all the ingredients to come through.
Where can I buy it and the cost?
You can buy fresh grass carp from most Asian supermarkets and definitely all wet marts in Hong Kong that have a fish vendor.
- The cost of a grass carp head, very large one, is $12 CAD so super affordable
- A large grass carp head serves about 8 in a 4L pot
- Fish are a good source of Omega-3 fatty acids, which act as a natural blood thinner and anti-inflammatory
- They are also a good source of protein without the high saturated fats
- If you use more of the bones, such as the head or tail, they have a good amount of collagen
- There are fears of increased mercury in large fish, although the carp isn’t too large and not considered a high risk mercury fish (unlike mahi mahi or canned tuna)
- Be sure to use a soup bag if you’re using smaller fish (or fish bones) or use a scooper to separate the soup as you serve
Tips for using fish!
- Pan-fry in ginger and oil (add scallions if you’d like) the first before you add it to the soup. This will make it more fragrant and eliminate the fishy smell and taste.
- Keep a soup bag handy!! For smaller fish, you can use a soup bag to keep all the bones, meat, and skin together as the fish melt into the soup.
- Salt fish very lightly if you’d like. I usually don’t salt at all! It turned out amazing and people can add salt afterwards as they like.
Looking to build your basic Chinese Soup Pantry?
Check it out in my video to learn more!
Carp, in my country , is treated as a pest. How big is the tail section you have in the photo – it looks to be about 4 inches (10cm)?
Yes, carp is known to be a pest in most fresh water areas as they grow so quickly and seem to thrive in most environments. This is partially why the tails and fish themselves are so affordable (even fresh) coming in at around $15 HKD per tail ~ $2-3 CAD per tail. The fish tails I used are roughly 3-4 inches in length. Hope this helps!
Thanks for the answer, Lady Tong.
To be honest, I doubt you could even buy it in my country, I do know they make the fish into garden fertiliser but not for food I think.
They might be great to eat however I am looking for weed control in a small lake in Sweden. Does anyone know of a distributor that could get me a few? Loren
I went to a few asian stores. I can’t seem to find grass carp fish. What do you suggest as an alternative fish I can use?
Hi, i am about to start a fish farming next month, Grass carp will be one of my options, any good advise on types of fish food for the grass carp and how much needed daily for 1,000 small fish for a start ?
The hulk can withstand heat on the sunshine and then
significantly considerably far more. He can get faster and faster, and stronger as he gets angrier,
also his regeneration abilities increase as he will get angrier.
Superman moving quickly as light could be traveling back again in time, which would
be quite much useless. The hulk can just thunder clap him absent
if superman is traveling genuinely fast, plus, his thunder
clap can shatter planets, and then some also. and then lets say Bruce Banner lost full control on the hulk, the hulk will be even stronger than his is now, and quite considerably be invincible so yea.
that’s fairly a lot all I must say.
Take a look at my homepage; superman stamina free video
I every time emailed this webpage post page to all my associates, as if like to read it after that my friends will too.