- The white starchy seeds are produced from a flowering plant in the water lily family
- The plant grows in water, with large, round leaves and purple flowers
- Each flower pod contains around 8-12 seeds and grow in either hot, dry weather or cold winters
- Euryale seeds are dry and powdery, round seeds, usually cut in half and chalky white on the inside, with a brown outer covering
- The seeds can be eaten raw or cooked
How do I prepare it?
- You MUST wash and soak the seeds prior to usage (this is because sulphur is used to process the seeds)
- Since the seeds are relatively hard, some will soak it overnight
Where can I buy this?
- You can purchase lotus seeds from either Asian supermarkets in packages, or from speciality stores in bulk
What is the cost?
- A bag is relatively affordable, coming in at around $2.00 CAD / bag
- The euryale ferox is said to strengthen male potency and retard aging
- It is a good source of starch containing healthy amounts of calcium, phosphorus, iron and potassium
- It is recommend that you soak and was the seeds thoroughly as they contain traces of sulphur used during processing
My mom uses this seed very often in soups. It is also a staple Chinese kitchen item to have in your kitchen.