Soup Name: Coconut Chicken Soup
Traditional Chinese Name: 椰子雞湯 (yē zi jī tāng)
This soup is the Chinese version of coconut and chicken soup. The Thai also have a coconut and chicken, which is richer and thicker in consistency.
What Ingredients are required?
1 chicken (whole)
3-5 conpoys or dried scallops
3-5 string figs
2 coconuts + the coconut water
How do I prepare it?
- In a large pot (your soup pot), add COLD tap water
- Add conpoys and string figs directly to the COLD soup water
- Prepare the chicken (see chicken for preparation steps)
- In a separate pot, boil water to pre-boil the chicken
- Pre-boil chicken, strain and add chicken to the boiling water of your soup
- Open coconut and prepare (keep the coconut water and add to your soup)
- Cut up coconut to edible bite sized pieces
- Boil soup for at least 2 hours before serving
- This soup is rich in proteins and helps nourish the lungs and relieve coughing
- Coconut water provides an isotonic electrolyte balance, and is a highly nutritious food source
- Try not to eat too much coconut. The meat is high in saturated fats and eating too much may give you a tummy ache because it’s relatively hard to digest, although it’s great for constipation!
I love this soup because I love coconuts! But like mentioned above, just don’t eat too much. The longer you let this soup sit (say overnight), the better it tastes.
If eating the good fat found in coconut gives you a “tummy ache,” you may want to see your health care provider, and discuss possible gall bladder problems. People with healthy gall bladders should have no problem digesting coconut.