Ingredient Name: Fresh Chinese Yam, Nagaimo, Yamaimo, Japanese Mountain Yam, Korean Yam, Dioscorea Opposita
How do I prepare it?
Where can I buy this?
What is the cost?
- Chinese yam costs around $1.50 CAD for 2 medium sized roots
- It is often used in combination with meats and other Chinese herbs to help digestion and regular sugar levels
- Traditionally it is used to relieve stomach pains and diarrhea
- When boiled with chicken and a variety of other Chinese herbs, it is an ideal confinement soup as it helps control inflammation of the uterus
- For some people, touching raw Chinese Yam will make their hands itchy – be sure to wear gloves as you peel the skin, wash and prep the root
- Excess consumption is known to cause frequent urination and perspiration