Ingredient Name: Chinese Lettuce, lettuce
Traditional Chinese Name: 生菜 (shengcai)
- A leaf vegetable that is long, sword-shaped and medium green to dark green in color
- It has a slightly bitter and robust flavor (that is very different from western lettuce)
- Not typically eaten raw, but used in Chinese stews, dishes, dim sum and soups
- Considered a mildly cooling ingredient
How do I prepare it?
- Rinse eat leaf in warm water to remove any dirt or mud
Where can I buy this?
- Available in most supermarkets
What is the cost?
- 1 average-sized head of Chinese lettuce cost around $2-3 HKD
- High in dietary fiber and low in fat
- Good source of Vitamin A and C
- Pregnant woman in their first trimester should consume in moderation as it is a mildly cooling ingredient
Any additional information?
- Store in a cool, dry place
- Can store up to 5 days in a refrigerated environment