Ingredient Name: Chinese Brown Sugar, Brown Sugar, Bar Brown Sugar
Traditional Chinese Name: 片糖 (piàn táng)
What is this?
- Sugar made from unrefined sugar cane
- Found in pre-packaged bar form in various shades of brown
- The darker the brown sugar, the greater the molasses content
How do I prepare it?
- Remove from package and use as is
- Can be stored as room temperature in an air-tight container
Where can I buy this?
- You can purchase brown sugar in stick form in all Asian supermarkets in packs
- It is also available in most Asian herb stores and are sold in packs or by weight
What is the cost?
- One pack costs around $2-3 CAD and can contain 6-8 sticks
- Said to be a more natural sugar as compared to white, refined sugars
- It contains less calories than white sugar (although not much)
- Use white sugar and caramlize in a dry skillet
- Difficult to control portions when added to cooking
- Always better to undersweetened than oversweeten