Soup Name: Chicken Herbal Soup
Traditional Chinese Name: 清雞湯 (qīng jī tāng)
One of the most basic Chinese chicken soups available. It is usually recommended by your Chinese herbalist, with minimalistic herbs and a whole chicken, it’s a wonderfully delicious soup for children and adults. It is actually designed to be the base for confinement soups, but with more herbs and can be double-boiled for extra strength. This soup is ideal for the cool autumn and winter months.
What Ingredients are required?
- Prepare chicken (in quarters) by rinsing and blanching in a pot of hot water
- Wash and clean abalone
- Boil your soup water
- Wash and soak for 10 minutes all the dried herbs
- When your soup water is boiling, add all the ingredients together
- Boil on high heat for 30 minutes and reduce to low boil for another 2 hours.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Excellent warming soup for cold days
- Good to increase blood circulation and blood flow
- It is considered to be of the “healing” categories of soup
- If used for confinement, you can make the soup more concentrated (less water or more ingredients)
- As the whole chicken can be oily, be sure to remove all oil before serving
- Minimize herbs when used for children (above sampling suggested)