Soup Name: Chayotes, Chestnuts and Longan Vegetable Soup
Traditional Chinese Name: 合掌瓜栗子素湯 (hup jeung gwa lì zi sù tāng)
This naturally sweet soup is rich in flavors and oil free. It’s a refreshing soup to drink in the summer and can be served chilled as it’s really quick and easy to make. I really like that it’s meat free because you can taste the chestnuts, the longans and all the vegetables. You can add various vegetables such as onions, green radish or tomatoes.
What ingredients are required?
How do I prepare it?
- Soak the longans in warm water for 10 minutes
- Start boiling your soup water
- In a separate pot of boiling water, boil the chestnuts on high for 5 minutes
- Drain chestnuts of boiling water and with gloves or a towel, peel the chestnuts of both the outer and inner skin
- Wash and prepare chayotes, carrots and corn
- When soup water boils, add all the ingredients together
- Boil on high for 30 minutes
- Salt as necessary (taste it first!)
- Oil free soup
- Can be served hot, warm or chilled
- All natural ingredients
- Naturally sweet soup, so no sugar is required
- Excellent source of Vitamin C
- The soup is overall rich in dietary fiber and antioxidants
- Beware to purchase the dried longans from a reputable source