Ingredient Name: Celery
Traditional Chinese Name: 芹菜 (qín cài)
What is this?
- A very popular vegetable, the celery can be eaten raw in salads or cooked in soups and stir-fry dishes
- Celery has a crunchy texture and a distinctive, slightly bitter taste
How do I prepare it?
- Wash thoroughly in cool water
- For a less bitter taste, you can also peel away the fibers (found along the outside-facing side)
Where can I buy this?
- You can buy celery from any supermarket
What is the cost?
- Celery are cheap and affordable. A whole stalk costs about $2 CAD.
- Celery is an excellent source of vitamin K and C and may be consumed to reduce symptoms of a cold
- It is a low-calorie food with only 10 kcal per 100 grams
- Furthermore, celery is believed to be a “negative calorie” food. That is, the amount of calories your body uses to digest celery is thought to be greater than the actual number of calories consumed
- Some people have severe allergies to celery
- Celery has also been known as a mild uterine stimulant and large doses should be avoided by pregnant women