Soup Name: American Ginseng Heat Reducing Soup
Traditional Chinese Name: 旗參海底椰理氣降火湯 (Qí cān hǎi dǐ yē lǐ qì jiàng huǒ tāng)
This soup is great for reducing internal heat where you may have sore throat, canker/cold sores, sore muscles (from the fire in your bones) and overall heatiness in your body. It’s not actually particular to any season, but more to a condition of the body caused by illness or circumstances. It is healing for the throat, lungs and respiratory system and eliminates unwanted heat.
What ingredients are required?
1 chicken (whole), skinned and quartered
2 g of dried American ginseng, sliced
10 g of dried lady bell root
15 g of lucid asparagus root
2 g of mulberry root
15 g of malt
80 g of pearl barley
5 honey dates
30 g dried mussels
1 large piece of dried tangerine peel
20 g of soloman’s seal
2 L of water
How do I prepare it?
- Rinse and soak for 10 minutes all the herbs (everything except the Chicken)
- Boil your soup water
- Prepare chicken and in a separate pot of boiling water, blanch your chicken for 5 minutes
- Rinse again the herbs in cool water
- When soup water boils, add all the ingredients together
- Boil on high heat for 30 minutes and reduce to a medium boil for another 1.5 hours
- Serve and enjoy!
- Helps reduce heatiness and internal fire from the body
- Excellent for the respiratory system
- Helps nourish the lungs, assist with cough and soothe the throat (especially sore throats)
- It is a slightly cooling soup, so take with precaution when in your first trimester of pregnancy
- Be sure to purchase herbs from a reputable source