A Quick Dinner Macaroni in Vegetable Soup
Macaroni in a quick boil vegetable soup (a quickie dinner)
Traditional Chinese Name:
雜菜湯 (zá cài tāng)
This soup is warming in nature and sweet to taste.
For more videos on soups and teas, you can follow us on YouTube.
This is one of our families’ favourite macaroni meals – ever! It actually started as a grandma recipe and we’ve been enjoying it since I was a child and since my children were little kids. So this recipe has a lot of fond memories. There are also a few variations of this, such as adding sliced ham, or bacon, or eggs on top. Very similar to the HK-styled macaroni in soup that you would find in HK cafes!
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
Total time: 45 mins
Serves: 6 bowls of macaroni and soup
- 2 fresh carrots, cubed
- 3-4 celery stalks, deveined and cubed
- half a cabbage, sliced
- 6 dried red dates
- 10 dried shrimp
- 2 tablespoons of miso paste
- 1 teaspoon of chicken powder
- 3 cups of uncooked macaroni
- 4L of water
- Boil your soup water
- Prepare your vegetables by cutting up the carrots, celery, and cabbage
- When your soup water boils, throw in all the vegeatbles
- Add in the dried ingredients (red dates and dried shrimp)
- Add in miso paste and chicken powder to taste
- Boil on medium high for 30 minutes, covered
- In a separate pot of about 3L of water, boil on high. I add a pinch of salt as salt lowers the boiling point of water.
- When this water boils, throw in the macaroni and continue to boil until desired softness from macaroni
- Serve macaroni and soup and enjoy!